Legal responsibilities are usually well-defined and are often points of emphasis in coaching certification programs. State associations, departments of education and other government organizations determine the range of legal responsibilities for coaches and officials. These responsibilities usually are formulated to maintain the safety and well-being of the athletes and to maintain the educational focus of the training program. ‘Duty of Care’ is a legal responsibility of coaches in many states and is mandated by a governmental body.
Key concepts covered in this course:
- the meaning of ‘Duty of Care’
- providing a safe environment for your athletes
- allowing sufficient warning of the inherent risks involved
- applying rules or codes of conduct for your classes
- proper record keeping
- the core legal documents required